Massachusetts allows residents to burn brush between January 15 and May 1, depending on weather conditions. You must obtain permission from the town in which you plan to burn brush.
Burning Permits are only issued between 8:30 AM and 1:00 PM.
You may obtain a burning permit online. Please use the online form between 8:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. on the day that you want to burn brush. Permit availability on a given day will depend on weather conditions.
- You may only burn BRUSH! All other materials are illegal. No leaves, grass, hay, stumps, building debris or any other materials are allowed to be burned.
- All open burning must be a minimum of 75 feet from buildings or structures.
- Burning will be allowed to start at 10:00am and must be extinguished by 4pm.
- Any open fire must be attended at all times by the permit holder.
- No person shall set, maintain or increase a fire in open air at any time except by permission.
- You must be 18 years or older to apply for a permit and/or set, maintain or increase a fire once permission has been granted by the Fire Department.
- You must have an appropriate means to extinguish an open air fire completely at the end of the day or if requested by the Fire Department.
- The Fire Department can refuse or cancel a permit at any time. (Example: Violation of permit regulations, or change in weather conditions.)
- Open burning season is January 15 – May 1.
- Massachusetts Regulation 310 CMR: DEP 7.07 “Open Burning”
You must have internet access and a valid email address to use this system. If problems with this website prevent you from obtaining a permit, you can also request a permit over the phone.
To request a permit in Cheshire, call one of the following:
- Tom Francesconi: 413-743-1957
- Bob Lamb: 413-743-3625
- Jason Mendonca: 413-743-2429
- Mike Biagini – 413-281-9131
- Shawn Martin: 413-743-5025
- Kim Martin: 413-743-5168
- Corey Swistak: 413-743-3279Or, on weekdays call the highway department at 413-743-3376 between the hours of 10 am and 3:30 pm and leave a messageQuestions? Email email@example.com.